Monday, July 20, 2009

Autumn Update, July 2009

Ok, so it has been a while since my last post, 4 months to be precise, and the silence was likely to continue for a little while longer had I not been inspired by a book I am currently reading. On Saturday I bought Philip Weigall's newest book, Fishing Season. It has been such an entertaining read that I am already half way through, and two other books that I am currently reading have been put on hold. Reading Philip's short stories about some of my favourite Victorian fly fishing locations has triggered many memories of events I experienced myself in these places. Here are just a few of the recent ones.

During May yet another season was approaching to a close and I tried to squeeze as many day trips to the Goulburn as I could. On the rare days when I found some water to myself, I also found success. Small rainbows and some better browns over a pound were common.

In late May I enjoyed another trip with FlyLife forumites. Dubbed the NEVERS, these trips are organised by Scottie, a guide from the North-Eastern Victoria. Scottie's culinary skills are exceptional, and his meals at the end of a long day's fishing are a real highlight.





08/09 season came to a close on Queen's birthday long weekend in June. I marked this occasion by spending the weekend fishing lakes, quite odd I know, but I believe it was the right thing to do as most Victorian rivers were slowing down by that stage. Covo and I had a great weekend at Millbrook Lakes and we both hooked into some really good sized fish, although the magic double figure trout eluded us. More reason to go back I guess.

Recently I have joined Northern Suburbs Fly Fishing Club, officially confirming my obsession with fly fishing, if anybody ever doubted it. This should help my improve my skills, both on the water and in front of a tying vise.
Next Saturday I'll be working, so any fishing excursions are unlikely, but with two NZ trips booked, a float tube from Sierra on its way, and the next fishing season less than a month away, there will be no shortage of fishing.



No comments: